Scott & Wilkinson score donation for St Johns Hospice

Date: 11/11/19

Scott & Wilkinson score donation for St Johns Hospice

Scott & Wilkinson bring it home! At the 4th annual Lancaster Professionals Tournament, hosted by Lloyds Bank our team were victorious for a second time. After reluctantly handing back the trophy (Pudsey) in 2018 we were determined to bring it home and win the donation for our chosen charity, St Johns Hospice. After a tough group stage we faced Ratcliffe & Bibby in the final where we thankfully triumphed and were crowned tournament winners.

In total £530 was raised through entry fees and donations. This was then doubled through the Lloyds Bank Foundation’s Matched Giving Scheme, bringing the grand total raised to a fantastic £1,060. Today we were delighted to welcome Catherine Butterworth from St Johns Hospice together with Rob Walters and William MacDonald from Lloyds bank and present a cheque to the charity.

Catherine said on behalf of St Johns Hospice, “Many people will know about the incredible work of the in-patient ward at St John’s Hospice, yet may not be aware of the additional palliative care that we offer to provide relief from symptoms and end of life care. For example there is the Day Hospice which supports patients and families with a wide range of life shortening conditions, the Hospice at Home team who visit patients in their own homes to give end of life care, and also the Clinical Nurse Specialists who work in the community offering help with symptom and pain management.  Around 30% of our funding comes from the NHS, and for the remaining 70% we rely on our amazing local community like Scott & Wilkinson and we are extremely grateful that they chose to support us through winning a recent football tournament which was then matched funded by Lloyds Bank. Although there is rarely a typical day for St John’s Hospice we do know that our costs are about £12,000 per day and every penny that is raised in our community goes back in to providing outstanding palliative care to our patients.  The football team at Scott & Wilkinson should be very proud of their footballing efforts as a team and equally proud that that tournament they played in generated £1,060 for the amazing work we do in our community.”

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Rob, William and the team from Lloyds Bank for putting on yet another brilliant evening of football and for matching the total amount raised. We look forward to competing next year where we hope to make it consecutive wins! Also a thank you for all the other teams which took part and donated including Oglethorpe, Sturton & Gillibrand, Kieron Bassett, Burton & Fisher, Ratcliffe & Bibby, Harrison Drury, Moore & Smalley, Baines Wilson, Opes Financial, ICS and Begbies Traynor.


Tim Preece FCCA

Author: Tim Preece FCCA

A former pupil at Lancaster Royal Grammar School, Tim joined Scott & Wilkinson in 1992 as a trainee after completing a degree in Maths and Economics at Leeds University and qualified as an Accountant in 1996. Tim was...

Read More

Share this article:


0 Comment


Nobody has commented yet. Why not add one?

Add your Comment

We have the ability to edit and/or delete posts and comments. Links should be relevant to the topics. Please note all comments are subject to review before inclusion.


Register to comment


Memberships & Accreditations

When appointing a firm of accountants it is important to check that they are appropriately registered and regulated.

Our clients can be assured that Scott & Wilkinson are registered with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to carry out audit work in the United Kingdom and regulated for a range of investment business activities.

We are also registered with the Chartered Institute of Taxation as a firm of Chartered Tax advisors. 

Any use of the term "partner", if used, indicates a member of Scott & Wilkinson LLP or an employee of Scott & Wilkinson LLP with equivalent standing and does not indicate that a partnership exists for the purposes of the Partnership Act 1980